We at GT Pie are busy baking up pies to benefit Gleaner’s Community Food Bank in Detroit as well as 8 other pantries in each of our GT Pie Shop communities. Our family of Pie Shops, including the new shop location in Rochester Hills, are helping to stomp out hunger throughout Michigan and Indiana for youth who participate in the school lunch programs during the school year.
Did you know more than half of Michigan children rely on free and reduced-fee meals during the school year? When school is out, families struggle to make up these meals and many children go without the nourishment they need to enjoy a happy and healthy summer. Last summer we helped to provide over 226,000 meals to kids in Southeast Detroit alone!
Again this year, proceeds will be given from Apple Pie sales (slices, minis and whole pies) in all GT Pie shops from June 20th through September 11th. Other funds will come from GT Pie partners and Gleaner’s corporate sponsors as well.
“Our goal is to be a respected Michigan company,” states Mike Busley, co-founder of GT Pie, “and we know this is only achieved when we dish it out ourselves. We believe by showing respect to our employees, partners and patrons, our opportunities together are endless. Respect leads to loyalty, loyalty promotes growth and growth allows us to give back to people and giving back gains respect, it’s a delicious cycle.
“Our children are our future and have every right to be fed nutritiously each day. We are so pleased to help strengthen the lives of children; this is such a great example of the ‘Power of Pie’ and our core values.”
Helping our youth have a hunger free summer is as easy as apple pie!
Our 15 Pie Shops will be making pies from scratch every day and their partner pantries include:
- Ann Arbor – Gleaner’s Community Food Bank
- Brighton – Gleaner’s Community Food Bank
- East Lansing – Boys and Girls Club of Lansing
- Grand Rapids – Evangelistic Center
- Downtown Lansing – Boys and Girls Club of Lansing
- Midland – Shelterhouse of Midland
- Norton Shores – Love, Inc.
- Okemos – Boys and Girls Club of Lansing
- Petoskey – Brother Dan’s Food Pantry
- Plymouth – Gleaner’s Community Food Bank
- Portage – Kalamazoo Loaves & Fishes
- Rochester Hills – Gleaner’s Community Food Bank
- Terre Haute, Indiana – Vigo County Schools Backpack Program
- Traverse City, Front Street – Father Fred Foundation
- Traverse City, Park Street – Father Fred Foundation
- Troy – Gleaner’s Community Food Bank
Watch for updates this summer as we reach our goal for a Hunger Free Summer!