Did you know more than half of our children in Michigan and Indiana rely on free and reduced-fee meals during the school year? When school is out for the summer, families struggle to make up these meals and many children go without the nourishment they need to enjoy a happy and healthy summer.
Our family of Pie Shops is helping to stomp out hunger throughout Michigan and Indiana this summer for youth who participate in school lunch programs during the school year.
For the fifth consecutive summer, proceeds from Apple Pie sales (slices, mini pies, and whole pies) in all GT Pie shops from June 10th through September 8th will be given to food pantries in our pie shop communities. These donations will help to provide thousands of meals to this very vulnerable population of children.
“Our children are our future and have every right to be fed nutritiously each day. We are so pleased to help strengthen the lives of children; this is such a great example of the ‘Power of Pie’ and our core values,” states Mike Busley, co-founder of GT Pie.
Each dollar contributed to the Hunger-Free Summer program represents six meals provided to students throughout the state of Michigan and Indiana. Over 320,000 meals have been provided in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 combined through our summer program. Let’s break the record for 2019!
Helping our youth have a hunger-free summer is as easy as apple pie!
Our 15 Pie Shops will be making pies from scratch every day. Please take a moment to read about our partner pantries:
- Ann Arbor – Gleaners Community Food Bank
- Brighton – Gleaners Community Food Bank
- East Lansing – Boys and Girls Club of Lansing
- Grand Rapids – Kids’ Food Basket
- Downtown Lansing – Boys and Girls Club of Lansing
- Midland – Shelterhouse of Midland
- Norton Shores – Love, Inc.
- Okemos – Boys and Girls Club of Lansing
- Plymouth – Gleaners Community Food Bank
- Portage – Kalamazoo Loaves & Fishes
- Rochester Hills – Rochester Area Neighborhood House
- Terre Haute, Indiana – Vigo County Schools Backpack Program
- Traverse City, Front Street – Father Fred Foundation
- Traverse City, Park Street – Father Fred Foundation
- Troy – Gleaners Community Food Bank